Skip to content

House fire turns tragic

HOUSE FIRE – This house located on 21st Ave. in Humboldt suffered major fire and smoke damage. Unfortunately, a lady living in the house died in the fire. As protocol with a fire death, Humboldt Fire Department contacted the TBI. The fire is under investigation.

by Danny Wade

A house fire last week turned tragic when firefighters found a person inside who was deceased. On Wednesday, February 25 around 2:45 p.m., Humboldt Fire Department responded to a fire on 21st Ave.

“The house was fully involved with smoke and flames,” Fire Chief Chester Owens said when firemen got to the scene. “There was an occupant involved who was bedridden and deceased.”

When firefighters arrived, they learned there was a person in the house. Chief Owens said he could not release the name due to the ongoing investigation.

Chief Owens contacted the coroner and Tennessee Bureau of Investigation as standard protocol when there is a death. Owens said the TBI agents were on the scene in about 45 minutes. The incident is still under investigation.

The fire was “knocked down” in less than an hour, which was rather quickly, according to the chief, especially with a fully engulfed fire.
Humboldt Police Department, Humboldt Area Rescue Squad and Gibson County EMS all responded to the fire. Chief Owens said they all worked together and praised how well all four join forces as a team.

This is the second death by fire in less than a year. In 2020, Perry Boling perished in an apartment fire last May.

Chief Owens said fires involving deaths are not common at all. Prior to Boling’s death, there had not been a fire death for several years.
The Humboldt Fire Department asked people to practice safety during cold months. Keep heaters three to four feet away from all objects. Have a working smoke detector in the house, multiple one for larger houses.

Chief Owens said the Humboldt Fire Department installs smoke detectors at no charge as a public service for Humboldt citizens. Due to COVID, 2020 and this year, people are more reluctant to have someone come into their houses, and rightfully so. Owens said the department can still install smoke detectors but must abide by CDC guidelines.

2 Comments

  1. Lisa on March 3, 2021 at 12:47 am

    This is so very tragic! Her poor boys…I have known the woman that died in the fire her whole life. Something seems quite suspicious since she has been unable to reach out to family and friends in over five years and since she’s been with that man. Plus money could be a motive if a settlement or insurance was coming her way. Several conflicting stories were told by her man how she became paralyzed for she was never permitted to speak to anyone from her past life. Isolation…Stockholm Syndrome. My pray is that in death she has found some peace. Because her three sons, older sister, nieces & nephews and family friends must find some kind of peace & closer. Rest in sweet Jesus’s arms Jennifer…on behalf of us all from KY…WE LOVE YOU 🥰

  2. Stephanie on March 18, 2021 at 2:08 pm

    That woman who died in the fire was my sister.
    Heartbroken

Leave a Comment