Skip to content

Hawthorne Street fire leaves family without a home

Hawthorne Street fire leaves family without a home499982728499982741

By Logan Watson

A fire on Hawthorne Street in Milan last Thursday morning has left a Milan family with only the clothes on their backs. The home, located at 4075 Hawthorne, was being rented by a couple with four young children. The owner of the rental property was Jon Jenkins, who inherited the home when his father passed away.
The blaze was reported around 9:30 a.m., but Assistant Fire Marshal Mike Estes stated that the fire had been growing for some time before neighbors noticed.
“The fire was caused by some faulty wiring,” said Estes. “By the time we arrived, it had spread to the attic, which made it much harder to put out.”dsc_8256
While the blaze was contained to the back of the home and the attic, smoke and water damage have caused a total loss. Friends of Jenkins have begun a drive to collect clothes and other items for the family through Parragan, where the mother works.
The fire comes just two weeks after another home just yards away burned in a similar manner. Estes stated that while smoke detector might not have helped since no one was inside when either home caught fire, they are still a homeowners best hope for preventing this type of disaster. Estes also stated that it was important for homeowners to remember not to overload their wiring with extension cords or space heaters in the coming winter months. For information on how you can receive a free smoke detector or other questions about fire safety, contact the Milan Fire Department at 686-3996. dsc_8341

Leave a Comment